O'Fallon Apostolic Assembly - A Historical Landmark.
Built in 1865, the venerable brick structure at 403 S. Lincoln is the oldest existing house of worship in O'Fallon, Illinois.
Nestled in the quiet suburban community of O’Fallon, Illinois stands a worship edifice erected at the conclusion of the Civil War. Almost a century and a half later, the church located at 403 South Lincoln Street still serves as a spiritual beacon and guiding light in the heart of O’Fallon. Established in 1865, the church was constructed by the First Methodist Church and in later years was home to the O’Fallon Assembly of God congregation.
In January of 1987, Bishop Gregory Wells was inspired by the Lord to establish the O’Fallon Christian Church located at 112 West Washington Street. O’Fallon Christian Church was the first predominantly African American congregation in the history of O’Fallon, IL. In 1990, the church changed its name to O'Fallon Apostolic Assembly and relocated to 111 West State St. Over the course of twelve years, many African Americans in Mascoutah, Swansea, and Fairview Heights decided to attend church locally as opposed to traveling to East St. Louis or venturing across the Mississippi to Missouri. Eventually, the sharp increase in membership mandated the needed for a larger worship facility. Bishop Wells met with church leaders to discuss the possibility of purchasing a new church. Desiring to remain in O’Fallon, IL., Bishop Wells prayed and canvassed the local area for a new church home. In May of 1998, Bishop Wells learned that the O’Fallon Assembly of God Church was for sale. Bishop Wells met with the pastor and in November of 1999, the church purchased the property.
On the first Sunday in January 1999, the O’Fallon Apostolic Assembly marched from their old location to their new house of worship. Church members, led by Bishop Wells, streamed out of the doors at 111 West State Street and with great excitement, began a victorious march to 403 South Lincoln Avenue. The procession spanned several city blocks. Upon arrival, the exuberant congregation held a commemorative celebration thanking God for His great mercy. Approximately 150-200 people were in attendance of the grand celebration to include Bishop Wells’ mentor and Diocesan, Bishop Alphonso Scott. In 2004, Bishop Wells and the O’Fallon Apostolic Assembly were honored by the City of O’Fallon and the Chamber of Commerce as Clergy of the Year. Feeling the burden to relieve the church of the monthly mortgage, a group of church members embarked upon the Nehemiah Project to raise funds to pay off the debt. In November of 2010, the Lord graciously allowed the humble congregation to pay off the church mortgage. A mortgage burning ceremony was scheduled for 2011.
The vision of the O’Fallon Apostolic Assembly is to first demonstrate the light of Christ in the metro-east area by inviting the un-churched into the Christian Family and loving each member unconditionally. Continuing in the original church’s legacy of education and community involvement, O’Fallon Apostolic Assembly purchased a building adjacent to the church at 111 West 4th and established it as a daycare center. O’Fallon Apostolic also serves as the central location for other social programs such as Reading is Fundamental, Angel Tree, and Angel Food. The mission of O’Fallon Apostolic Assembly is to lift the fallen, visit the sick, strengthen the weak, encourage the fainthearted, comfort, and point those who are lost to the way of salvation.